What is the meaning of detoxification? Well, it’s sort of like a cleansing of the body from inside out. The scientific explanation is the removal of toxic substances from a living organism. Detox occurs when the body tries to eliminate and remove toxins produced in the body from foods, the environment and our genetics. We are all relatively clean people whereby, we shower, keep our bodies and hygiene clean, brush our teeth, and etc.. However, rarely do we clean ourselves from the inside. The reason being is we are not educated on the proper methods for detoxification. Most of the time we aren’t even aware when our bodies require a detox. So, I want to share with you all some symptoms that you should be aware of to determine whether or not you may benefit from a detox.
If you experience any one or more of the following symptoms, you may want to consider researching detoxes particular to your health needs.
- Bad breath
- Dark under-eye circles
- Poor concentration
- Skin issues
- Sluggish digestion
Here are some tips on how to minimize your toxic load and help keep your liver (your detox organ) clean.
- Drink lots of WATER! Stay hydrated. Drinking good quality water daily helps flush out toxins.
- Eat foods that contain high fibre such as fruits, veggies, whole grains and nuts and seeds. Fibre helps to eliminate toxins by stimulating bile flow. Also, the more regular and better your bowel movements are the more toxins you release.
- Eat organic and avoid foods that use artificial ingredients, chemicals, pesticides, additives, and preservatives.
- Eliminate anything that hinders your detoxification such as caffeine, alcohol, white sugar and bad fats. Chemicals are also absorbed through the body and this means you should avoid certain beauty care products that contain harmful chemicals such as perfume, antiperspirant, makeup, soap, cream and etc.
- Exercise! Try to move your body everyday! Incorporate effective breathing as well to help reduce stress and help blood flow to all the areas of your body to keep it limber and flexible.
- Eat more detoxifying foods. These foods can stimulate the liver to detox, purify the blood and promote bile flow and regular bowel movements.